When you customize MyVoice, the next time you start up the app it will automatically sync your changes. It’s instant! It’s ready for going out and having fun! But just wait–it’s hard to think about all of the things you might want to say at any given time, isn’t it? So here are a few tips for getting started.
1. Get to know the system and enjoy it. Open the app and sign in online. Then press all the buttons and see what happens! Notice the different colours for folders and items, remember the “home” button for going back and watch the system syncronize. The more you play with the app the more comfortable you’ll be going through it when you want to use it.
2. Browse the “books” and create your own. When you sign in online you should see books on the right. Click to see what words are in them and add the ones that you think you might need by dragging the closed book icon into the MyVoice screen on the left. Then think of a book you want that isn’t there and click the plus sign to make it! Also remember that you can edit the existing books to suit your specific tastes. For example if you like pizza in the morning then put it in the breakfast book.
3. Do the 5 W’s. “Who, What, When, Where, Why,” and don’t forget “How.” Think of all the different types of people you (or the person you are caring for) regularly interact with. Try to make sure there is a wide range of vocabulary for family and close friends, meeting new people, and acquaintances. Now ask, “how do I want to organize these ideas and phrases?” We’ll address the “Where” in the next point but think about your daily routine, where you go and what books you want to have accessible for each part.
4. Location, location, location! You might not remember all the places you go regularly, or the places you go only once in a while so it might be worth taking time to tour your locale and tag all the locations you want to have and then adding the relevant vocabulary you might need.
5. More customization means better conversations. When you are customizing vocabulary remember that MyVoice is designed to work for every individual so you can input things in a way that makes sense to you. Think about how you want things organized and remember that you aren’t limited to categories designed by someone else. Get excited!